I’m trying to do a regular post every Saturday, but I can’t come up with anything inspiring today so here are some random thoughts I had this week.
Author’s Note: After writing these, I discovered they’re all about movies or TV shows. Interesting, I didn’t mean to make a theme of it, but there it is.
1. I can’t wait for the Olympics! During the last Summer Olympics, I watched the opening ceremonies at my friend’s house in Orlando where my friends and I were taking a week vacation. And I watched the final race of Michael Phelps (aka the last day of the Olympics 😉 at a bar in downtown DC with my friend who had just arrived in DC the day before after taking 2 months to ride his bike across the country.
When the 1996 Olympics were on, I was in between 7th and 8th grade. We taped the closing ceremonies and I remember watching that tape over and over. It was in Atlanta that year and the music and dancing and partying were so much fun to watch. That was also the year that Kerri Strug led the Women’s Gymnastics team to the gold on a twisted ankle. (Side note: I found out that Kerri Strug babysat a couple of my former piano students once. Turns out she lives in DC and knew the girls’ dad somehow. When their mom told them who Kerri was, the oldest said “no wonder she was so good at jumprope.”)
2. I had a nice experience with Comcast. Believe it or not. The TV that my roommate is letting me borrow stopped working because I needed to get a digital converter. But when the box came, I couldn’t get it activated. I called the number and talked to a nice man (who was obviously in a different country). He walked me through the steps and got my box activated. So now I can watch TV (and I have a remote!!) I know that 99.8% of the time Comcast sucks, but I wanted to tell one story of peace and hope.
3. Discovery Channel is starting to put their shows on Netflix! The first one I discovered was Mythbusters, one of my favorite shows. But THEN, I found (gasp) Dirty Jobs. Endless Mike Rowe? Yes, please. Sadly, I think I’ve seen just about every episode of Dirty Jobs, but it’s fun to watch my favorites. And THEN I found Deadliest Catch!! I had only seen part of one season of that one so now I’m watching about one episode a day. Love it. Thank you Netflix. Now all you need are episodes of Friends and Three’s Company.
4. I love the show “Who Do You Think You Are?”!! It’s a show where celebrities look up their history and find interesting and incredible stories about their ancestors. The first episode of the 3rd season was on last night and the celebrity was Martin Sheen. The first two seasons are on Hulu. I would encourage you to check it out if you’re interested in genealogy and that type of thing.
5. Last weekend I got kind of obsessed with Daniel Day-Lewis. I had never really heard of him until he won that Oscar for “There Will Be Blood,” a movie I’m afraid to see because I fear it will scare me. The movie “My Left Foot” was in my Netflix queue forever so I decided to watch it and I was blown away by his performance. He’s one of those dedicated borderline-crazy method actors. After that I had to look him up in IMDb and Wikipedia. I found out he’s married to Arthur Miller’s daughter and he’s very selective with the roles he plays. (He has been cast as Abraham Lincoln in the biopic about Lincoln – excited!!) So after watching that movie, I ended up watching “The Age of Innocence”, “A Room With a View”, “My Beautiful Laundrette” (that movie was weird), and “The Ballad of Jack and Rose.” I still have “The Last of the Mohicans” and “The Crucible” on my queue. He’s one of those actors that completely becomes his character, much like Sean Penn does. You forget their real name.
The end! Hopefully I will have a more exciting post next week 🙂 Have a good weekend!!